Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A love of reading

I feel truly sorry for people who dont read for pleasure. I was having a discussion the other day with a group of people about The DaVinci Code. I tried to include one woman in the conversation by asking her if she had read it...she looked at me like reading is gross and said "I dont like to read.". Ummm, you dont know what you're missing, weirdo.
I remember sitting in my room as a child reading anything and everything I could get my hands on. One of the best days of my life was when I walked, by myself! to City Hall (where one of the city's libraries is located) and got myself a library card. They had to call my mom for permission and I got in big trouble for going there alone, but I had a library card, woo hoo! and my punishment was being grounded...with books! LMAO! Real smart Mom. I think I fell in love with Judy Blume first but it wasnt until I was around 12 or 13, and discovered V.C Andrews that I became obsessed with reading.
Discovering an unread book, or finding free time to read, is one of those things that just makes me happy. Seeing my kids curled up with a good book, or having them ask for a ride to the library is equal to a lottery win to me...well, almost. Think of the books I could buy if I won the lottery!

No comments: